Brain Fun Facts You Didn’t Know
The most complex part of our body’s central nervous system is brain. It sends and receives huge amount of information. It is so complex and amazing that science is yet to find some answers. So, here are some of the interesting brain facts you may want to know.
- It’s a myth that we use only 10 percent of our brain. We use more than 10 percent of it even when we are sleeping.
- An adult brain weighs about 3 pounds.
- Water makes upto 75 percent of the brain. So stay hydrated!
- It contains approximately one hundred billion neurons that transmit and receive information at different speeds.
- The fastest speed for information to pass between neurons is about 250 mph.
- It makes upto 2 percent of our body and yet it uses 20 percent of the oxygen and blood in our body.
- It can interpret the pain signals send to it but does not feel pain itself.
- The brain of sperm whale weighs about 20 pounds and it is the largest of any mammal.
- When awake, it can generate up to 23 watts of power.
- The blood vessels in our brain are almost 100,000 miles in length.
- Males brain on average is 1,274 cubic centimeters in volume while female’s on average is 1,131 cubic centimeters in volume.
- It gets smaller as we get older and this usually happens after 45 years age.
- The nervous system of octopus contains about 500,000,000 neurons with two-thirds of it located in its arms.
- A honey bee has 950,000 neurons in its brain.
- It generates up to 50,000 thoughts per day and 750-1,000 milliliters of blood flows through it every minute.
- It can process an image for as little as 13 ms, a little less time than the blinking speed of an eye.
- There is 2,500,000 gigabytes of storage in our brain.