The More we do, the Greater the Benefit!
Physical activity plays a vital role in improving our quality of life. It improves health and reduces the risk of several diseases. Physically active people garner immediate and long term health benefits. The rule of thumb is: the more we do, the greater the benefit! So, let’s get moving!
Keep Your Children Physically Active!
It is essential to keep your children physically active for a healthy physical, mental and social development. Regular exercise can help
- Develop healthy bones, muscles and joints
- Build a healthy heart and lungs
- Improve coordination and movement control
- Boost self-confidence, better interaction and better integration into the society.
In addition, physical activity may also induce healthy behaviours in older children and can help to avoid smoking, alcohol and drug use.
Keep Yourself Active!
There is ample evidence to suggest that regular exercise can reduce the risk of many of the most common diseases that endanger our lives. It can reduce
- Heart disease
- Certain cancers, including breast and colon cancer
- Type 2 diabetes
- Osteoporosis (weak bones)
Besides, regular exercise can help
- Keep joints and muscles healthy
- Maintain healthy weight
- Reduce signs and symptoms of depression and anxiety
- Improve social interaction which in turn helps to improve self-confidence
Don’t Sit for Too Long!
- While @ Home: Do not spend too much time watching television, reading a book or using your computer or cell phone.
- While @ Office: Break up lengthy periods of sitting down on the office chair with shorter bouts of activity for just one to two minutes.
And hey You!…get up and walk around and don’t spend too much time on your mobile or laptop after reading this article.
Source: British Nutrition Foundation